The month of September delivers us back to school jitters, the anticipation of fall, and the warm waning days of summer. It is a month filled with beautiful imagery as the leaves start to change and is a time of deep reflection as we honor Labor Day. What better month to be represented by the breathtaking blue sapphire? And what better gift for a September birthday than our Blue Sapphire Signature Crystal Pen?
Sapphire was adopted as the official National Association of Jewelers birthstone for the month of September in 1912. This stone, which is typically known for its rich blue hue, is deep with tradition and has a long history of brilliance. Here are some things you might not have known about Sapphires:
- The Sapphire is one of the birthstones that represents the Pisces, Taurus, Virgo, and Sagittarius zodiac signs.
- Sapphires are also given traditionally for the fifth, twenty-third, forty-fifth, and sixty-fifth wedding anniversaries. The sixty-fifth wedding anniversary sapphire is traditionally cut in the shape of a star.
- While blue is the most common of the sapphire colors, the gem can be a wide variety of colors.
- Sapphire is the second hardest natural mineral with a Mohs scale rating of 9.0.
- Sapphires are often heated to extremely high temperatures to give the gem its brilliant and deep blue color.
- Sapphires were first created synthetically in 1902, and those that created it did a remarkable job. Without the aid of a skilled gemologist, the differences between the two stones are negligible.
- It is said that the sapphire allows spiritual enlightenment and inner peace. The sapphire is believed to hold healing powers for a variety of ailments that include colic, rheumatism, and a variety of mental illnesses.
Looking for a gift in another birthstone color? See all of our sparkling crystal pens here.